WINTER SQUASH BREAKFAST HASH
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, or 1/2 dry
- 1/2 teaspoon dry sage
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
1. Coat squash with a little olive oil & sprinkle with salt. Bake in a foil lined pan for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl mix together ground turkey & the 5 following spices until they are well combined.
3. In a oiled non stick pan or on a flat grill pan brown turkey sausage meat until fully cooked. 2-3 minutes on each side. As it cooks use a spatula to break down the meat into pieces.
4. Dice onions, apples, & bell peppers.
5. In a lightly oiled non stick skillet saute the onions & bell pepper for 2-3 minutes. Then add the apples & continue to saute for about 5 minutes or until the apples start getting soft.
6. Add the turkey sausage & combine all the ingredients.
7. When squash is done, add the squash to the pan & mix everything together.
Plate Finished Product
Serve as a side or top with a eggs
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I watched this recipe being made on an episode of Diner’s Drive-ins & Dives at the Darby’s Cafe. Thought it was a good combo & wanted to try to recreate it. I used a few different ingredients & did not top this with a cranberry compote like they did, but I thought it turned out great!
This is whole30 & paleo approved but the recipe can be modified to your palate. If you like spicy you can add some red pepper flakes to this dish. I liked it just as a breakfast itself but you can top it with some eggs. It has a slight Thanksgiving Stuffing taste to it, so you can even use this as a dinner side as well.0