CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Put chicken breasts in Crock-Pot, add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, green chilies, chopped onions, minced garlic, cumin, salt & pepper. Cover & cook on LOW for 6 hours or HIGH for 3 hours.
2. When chicken is done, or when there is 30 minutes or less remaining, remove chicken & place on a plate, leave liquids in the Crock-Pot. Use two forks to shred the chicken into small pieces then place chicken back in the Crock-Pot.
3. When soup is done, serve hot in individual bowls.
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Tortilla Chips
OPTIONAL WHOLE30 TOPPINGS
PLATE FINISHED PRODUCT
4. Top soup with cheese, crushed tortilla chips, sliced avocado, & cilantro.
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I have always loved chicken tortilla soup & I have tried many variations in the past. Since I do not eat dairy this is a perfect recipe for me without the cheese. This is a good healthy soup that is easy to make & reheats well.
There are many things that will pair well with this soup. You can add veggies, corn, or black beans. Also hot sauce if you want it spicy. If you like a more creamy soup you could add sour cream as a topping. Whole30 & Paleo compliant modification, read your labels & use avocado, fresh diced tomatoes, or olives as topping options.