- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled & cubed
- 10 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled & cubed
- 2 lbs cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or olive oil
- 1 large red potato, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 large egg, whites only, beaten
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured counter top, knead until it comes together. Shape into a somewhat flat rectangle, wrap in plastic or foil & chill.
2. Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion, carrots, & celery, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt & 1 teaspoon pepper & stir well. Cover & cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 15-20 minutes.
4. Add 2 cups of chicken broth & add milk, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium & cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
5. Stir in peas, chicken, & thyme. If mixture is very thick, thin with some additional chicken broth. Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
6.. Transfer the mixture into a greased baking dish or ramekins. Brush some beaten egg whites around the edge of baking dish.
7. Roll out dough between two pieces of wax paper or plastic, cut shape & size according to dish, lay dough across dish & press the pastry to the edges, trim of necessary. Brush a small amount of egg white across the top of the pastry & cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape.