CHICKEN SOULVAKI KABOBS
- 1.5-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt, low fat
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh or dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Salt & freshly to taste
- Pita bread, side
1. Cut chicken into large 1″ chunks or strips.
2. Combine olive oil, lemon juice, yogurt, vinegar, onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, coriander, salt, & pepper in a bowl & whisk together.
3. Place chicken in a gallon size ZipLock bag & pour marinade over the chicken. Zip bag tightly & coat chicken evenly. Place in the fridge & marinate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
4. When chicken is ready to cook, thread onto skewers. If using wooden skewers, allow skewers to soak in water for 10-15 minutes prior to threading.
5. Oil grill grate with olive oil or spray oil then BBQ skewers on a gas or charcoal grill over medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes, turning when you see defined grill marks. When done remove from grill & cover with foil for 3-5 min to allow juices to settle.
Plate Finished Product
Great in Greek Gyros
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I love Greek food and this Chicken Soulvaki goes great served on the kabob, in a Greek Gyro, or on top of a Greek Salad. It is an easy dish & is fun to make.
For whole30 or paleo remove the Greek yogurt. This recipe can be modified to your taste. For a more traditional recipe remove the Greek Yogurt, I add it to keep the white meat more tender when cooking on the BBQ but it’s not as traditional as the olive oil & lemon.