GREEK CHICKEN GYROS
- Chicken Soulvaki or any Mediterranean chicken, sliced
- Greek pita bread
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 European cucumbers, diced
- 1/4 Red onion
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- Kalamata olives, pitted & diced (optional)
- 1 cup Romaine lettuce, thinly chopped (optional)
- Tzatziki sauce
1. Lightly heat up pita bread on a grill or a stove. Spread some Tzakziki sauce in the center of the pita then layer on piece of chicken at a time in a row along center of pita.
2. Top with tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, feta, Kalamata olives, red onion, feta, and olives. Wrap & serve with a side of Tzakziki sauce.
Plate Finished Product
STORY BEHIND THE DISH
I am not a huge fan of the traditional gyros but I do love chicken gyros. This is a simple dish and can be easily adapted to many food needs.
For whole30 or Paleo use a lettuce wrap in place of the pita, remove the cheese, & make an approved Tzatziki sauce. You can basically use any type of meat or no meat at all for this recipe. I prefer chicken, steak, or lamb but you can easily do an all veggie gyro as well. You can add or remove any of the toppings for your preference.